Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Discussion Forum 7: How do You Think BBC- and Wiki-readings Help You Know More about Language? (or do They?) (Optional, DUE on 6/29)

BBC- and Wiki-readings are a major part of our learning material.
Do you think you really learn from the readings?
If yes, what are the things you learn about language?
Please be specific.

If not, don't worry.
Just share with us what you think might be a problem and a possible solution (if there is any).

11 comments:

  1. I think reading material from BBC helps me a lot, especially when I came across a vague concept or word. The articles gave a large quantity of examples and make the definition clear and blunt. Most important of all, they are interesting. (Not like Wiki.) Although I can’t get used to the British accent, it’s still a good source to get good ideas. Wiki, on the other hand, doesn’t help that much. I like the Encyclopedia Britannica better personally. Most of the time, wiki gives too many trivial information and thus made it an agony to read through the whole twenty pages and gets only two lines of things that really matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "Yes" about the question.Both BBC and Wikipedia help me a lot.BBC helps me get some good ideas from it, and it can also learn many different kind of views through one thing.We usually get informations from the media, but those does not all correct,sometimes the media exaggerates the news.And that I can find the same things through BBC.That I can not also know more about this thing and check if it is ezaggerated but also try to think why other countyies' people think about this.Wikipedia helps me the definition of words.But I consider that you do not believe all the time.Because its information can be written by anyone around the world.Even though you still can get some information and definition from it.I will still have interest in BBC;I think I can learn more from BBC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry,I forgot my name again.Name:何家瑜

      Delete
  3. It is certain that I have learned something not only in BBC, but also in Wikipedia. Of course they are powerful tools to me in these days. Check out things in these two kinds of materials is not the only thing. They also have broaden my horizon to language learning.What's more, knowing the discrepancy of any other terms in the language can let me how deep and wide the palace is. Generally speaking, BBC gives us the example of the terms in English and Wiki produces us the definitions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that BBC is a good approach for me to understand more about the theme of language, culture and communication. People from different areas share their experiences (such as custom and living habits) with you and how they see the world. I can also know more accurately concept about the theme. I find the theme is not simple as I imagine. When I listen to BBC, I improve my listening and try to find out the points, too. I think I can use my eyes to see the world one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Name:劉蓉蓉
    BBC is great not only because the enough examples for us to feel the point ourselves but also for its clear explanation!
    As for Wikipedia....... Though the definition and information of topics are quite helpful......it takes time to finish reading a whole page or to linked to the relative topic and understand what the meaning and difference between them.......(QWQ)(but is still a nice tool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Name 陳孝鈞
    BBC is actually an awesome tool,which is considered equitable and quality. Aside from the BBC who on earth are we,I've downloaded the APP of BBC-News ,too. BBC not only offers the best way for the English users to learn 'bout the happenings around the world but it can be a good teaching material for non-native English (the learners ) .
    Wikipedia is a good tool,too. It just like a powerful dictionary that well defined several nouns about language and linguistics. What's more,it offer many references and mass websites for us to learn more about language. However, there's just a drawback,anyone can edit it freely ,which makes the informations less correct. But more or less,it's good enough for beginning learners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using BBC and WIKI can help me learn more about the world we live ,the culture we have,and the language we use.These two websites can provide me with the idea of learning English ,but they hgave different effect in different part.If I want to know more examples of how people use language,and the culture or the custom they have in the world that I can check or listen from the BBC.And, if I want some methodical or some complete information,searching from wiki can give memore idea ,such as the result,reason, evolution…But both of them still has some deficiency.Like BBC owns many real phenomenon in the topic but lack of organized appearance.To the wiki,it can be revise by any wiki’s users if they have the account.In some aspects, the information from there can be question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. name:林庭亘
    Reading the paragraph in BBC,I can concrete my feelings of the world into words due to the dialogues in BBC.Just like although I had known the world at some point has getting smaller and smaller and so has people's distance to each others ,I can't be specific to describe this feelings.Since reading with BBC as material ,I can tell someone about things I couldn't express before.As for Wiki,I had no habit using it to search about things,but I do now because Wiki's informations came from lots of people.I didn't know a lot of new words which was created just during the decade after I had born. Wiki and BBC have explains and the reasons why people created the words that I can learn and they are the simplest ways to search things that college fresh students can use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think both of them help me a lot.When I had some problems with some definitions of the words,the general channel was Wiki.However,there are some limitations,such as lacking more concrete examples which results that I just can superficially understand what it wants to express.Later on,via Teacher's introduction,another method is BBC.That system will try to register the meaning through everyone's opinion and discussion in detail.But the importance is that you must be patient.It's not like Wiki which has clear category.And it just like newspaper ,you have to catch the key points.If using these two systems mutually and realize what it really means in every aspect,you must get better effect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Name:黃平心
    BBC and Wiki-reading is really helpful to me. There are many topic on BBC-Learning English, such as “Who on earth are we?”, and this topic talk about language a lot. Reading BBC is a good way to improve my English. Besides, wikipedia is another tool that helps me to find the definition of some terms or anything extended. However, I think the accuracy of information is not authorized, because the editor of wiki could be anybody. Recently, more and more people write wrong information on wikipedia, so I think that there must be judge to rectify wrong information.

    ReplyDelete