Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Discussion Forum 8: How is Language Taught and Learned? (Optional, DUE on 6/29)

Learning a language is a life-long task, and the task could be rather challenging but sometimes pretty rewarding.
Why not share with us how you have been learning about a foreign language (e.g., English) and how you feel about this way of language learning?
Or you could share with us what you think matters the most in a language classroom and why?

For more ideas about language teaching and learning, please refer to the article (soon to be discussed in class) to help you better describe your language beliefs and approaches.

5 comments:

  1. I went to ESL when I was still in elementary school...Though there were some foreign teachers, we didn't really talk a lot; instead, we focus on reading and listening, which become my ways of studying English now-- reading reading and reading, from Time to English novel, and listening to the news broadcast by ICRT sometimes.(I think this makes my oral expression poor...)
    I can still remember the sense of utterly confusion, as I began to learn "grammar" in senior high, such as what should follow with a "Vt" or "Vi"(I spent a whole semester on figuring out what this two things are on earth). It had been simple for me to learn English even without knowing what a "noun" is, but then learning English became a complex work once I struggled to understand those "rules".(Just as walking. You walk, and that is simple; however, it become awfully complicated when you start to solve "how to walk" from biology and physics).
    Perhaps starting learning English in early stage lead to the unaccustomed feeling toward the way English taught in senior high?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Name:黃平心
    I have been learning English since I was in elementary school. In the beginning,my teacher taught me how to speak English with Phonics,that is I should imitated teacher's pronouciation,so I did not learn the KK at first.I think this way made me pronunce more easy and naturally. In my opinion,listening,speaking,reading and writing all are important in language classroom. Reading and Listening are emphasized in Taiwan,so the students are weak at speaking and writing.It lose balance in learning language.Furthermore,teacher and students should have reaction on each other,but the students in classroom just are receivers.I think the students should have some feedback to make the teacher realize the situation.I believe it can improve the way how we learn English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Name:何家瑜
    I started to learn English since I was in the last year in kindergarten.My teacher taught me how to read the words and followed the teacher to speak loudly and understand what the words mean.I started learning English from listening and speaking.I consinder that when people want to learn one language ,they have to start from listening and then speaking.But when I was third grade in elementary school the school started to have English lessons.The teacher taught us from listening, reading and writing but seldom speaking.The teacher just kept saying in class,asked us to memorize the words and wrote down what she wrote on the blackboard.The class was really boring.I like the clam school.There I could speak,listen,writing and readng.It was fun to learn.In Taiwan,English education is not good enough.It does too emphasize on reading.That let us just can deal with the tests but not to have another communication tool.Now I do not study in clam school any more,and I improve and learn English by listening to ICRT ,watching English news on TV or reading magazines.I love baseball very much.I always watch USA baseball live boardcast at midnight.Sometimes I would fall asleep in class next day,but I learned so many from that.I think learning English is fun and English is an other language for me to communicate not just for tests.You can find one thing that you are interesting and start from that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Language acquisition is divided into first and second language learning. First language, also known as mother tongue, is mostly learned by simply picking up the skill from the surroundings. Children will form sentence patterns of their own, then try to put different words into the space, creating infinite sentences. On the other hand, second language is mostly learned by comparing it with the mother tongue. Learners will start from remembering vocabularies, grammar rules, then eventually combine these into sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. name:林庭亘
    Since I was a little,I had a foreign teacher who was always being my best friend.According to the wonderful experience I had had,my favorite subject during my entire teenager's learning life was English.I think it's very important that arouse someone's passion and interest to learn about something.I don't think I would like English if I had been pushed to learn about it. Because I love English before the learning about the language,I can be less hate learning English on school's classes.Thus, I prefer not to just sit in class and look on the whiteboard what teachers write but hang out with somebody who can teach you about it in a naturally ways.

    ReplyDelete