Discussion Forum 4: What is Paralanguage and the Hidden Message? (Optional, DUE on 6/29)
Paralanguage represents a hidden aspect of communication,
and it actually matters as much as written and spoken language.
What do you know about paralanguage?
How is it related to one's everyday life?
The acoustics of the television at my home broke down this Saturday, and I in result got to have a close observe on paralanguage. When I couldn’t hear the voice or the sound, I immediately turned my attention to the gestures and the facial expression of those people on the TV. It’s kind of funny when I found an anchor kept blinking her eyes, and that really made her look unprofessional. Also, I found some good anchors know how to gesture well to keep all the audiences look at the right place. Another example for paralanguage is the advertisements in the radio. They could really make people feel their happiness or frustration through simply voice. It’s actually a very difficult task, for I always make people misunderstand me when I’m on phone. Maybe it’s because I sound monotone and reluctant when I feel sleepy.
Name:何家瑜 Sometimes everyone watch silent movies,you will find that the actors use their body language.They use body language to let us know what they want to express.,and we can try to understand their meaning.I think watch silent movies is so interesting that I can have my busy ears relax,just think about what do they want to tell me,and also learn many expression ways from these.One of my neighbor,my grandmother‘s sister,is a mute.She alaways says "umm..." with some gestures.I usually don not know what she means,but my grandmother alaways know what she says.I ask my grandmother why,and she alaways says " Obervse her gestures carefully,and use your kind to listen." I try this way so many times,and now I can sometimes understand what she means.Paralanguage is not a main language,but from the research ,paralanguage can help us to communicate,let othrs can be able to know what you mean quickly and close-fitting,and also help the interpersonal relationship.
Conversations,the most we will likely to do in our daily life, is the most common and significant thing. And do you discover that you will have some non-verbal language usage in your talk. Body language and paralanguage can be the two kinds of languages to give you an advantage on you talk.But in several countries, the residents think it is courtesy of us to reduce our non-verbal language. As a consequence, it is our and other's pleasure if we can give our respect to them.
Name:羅郁婷 Consisting of the prefix "para-" and the word "language", paralanguage literally means a certain kind of language that is beyond the actual "language." Including speaking tempo and intonation, we use paralanguage almost all the time without consciousness. For instance, in an urgent situation, people tend to use a faster tempo just because they are in a hurry; hearing a breaking news or a gossip, people show how surprise they are by raising their intonation. With paralanguage, we'll be able to "guess" what's going on and how the speaker feels simply by listening. Besides, we'll also be able to describe or communicate with others a lot more vividly.
Name:黃平心 I think that paralanguage is part of communication. When people talk or try to express some emotion,it must be coupled with paralanguage,such as an eyesight or interjection. Paralanguage is help us to convey our emotions.For example,there will be different meanings in what we say if we add a sigh.It can tell someone we just feel a bit upset.Thus,I think paralanguage can tell us something hidden behind what people say. It is kind of emotional language.
name:林庭亘 I always feel that paralanguage is far more important than language itself.Why is that? Because when we sometime lose our voice to say something by our mouth and tongue ,we can use paralanguage to show what we want to express. On the contrary,when we lose the ability to show our point with paralanguage and there comes something that we can not use words to describe ,we can not make others understand what we want to tell them. In addition,paralanguage can be so general.It is gestures,sounds of a sigh and the body languages .I think paralanguage can show people's emotions more specifically than words.Sometimes,takes a blink can show more than say a lot of lines.
In my viewpoints about 'Paralanguage',I think it just means a sign language.However,in reality,it is an important system to communicate with each other in our daily lives,not just be simple as literal meaning.Once,I had seen a silent movie in junior high school.Its major character is a well-known pantomimist,卓別林.I haven't clearly remembered what the plot was then.But there are three parts still wandered in my brain.One is background music,as long as the story changed,the background music did as well. It will influence our feeling and arouse our interest.Another is his facial expression.He looks really funny and amused us a lot.The other is his motion;despite running,walking or gesture.Maybe there are other element,but combining these three parts can clearly know what characters want to express. Sometimes,when we say hello to others with different facial expression,we will bring a variety of feeling to others and even affect their moods.So paralanguage is as important as language.
The acoustics of the television at my home broke down this Saturday, and I in result got to have a close observe on paralanguage. When I couldn’t hear the voice or the sound, I immediately turned my attention to the gestures and the facial expression of those people on the TV. It’s kind of funny when I found an anchor kept blinking her eyes, and that really made her look unprofessional. Also, I found some good anchors know how to gesture well to keep all the audiences look at the right place. Another example for paralanguage is the advertisements in the radio. They could really make people feel their happiness or frustration through simply voice. It’s actually a very difficult task, for I always make people misunderstand me when I’m on phone. Maybe it’s because I sound monotone and reluctant when I feel sleepy.
ReplyDeleteName:何家瑜
ReplyDeleteSometimes everyone watch silent movies,you will find that the actors use their body language.They use body language to let us know what they want to express.,and we can try to understand their meaning.I think watch silent movies is so interesting that I can have my busy ears relax,just think about what do they want to tell me,and also learn many expression ways from these.One of my neighbor,my grandmother‘s sister,is a mute.She alaways says "umm..." with some gestures.I usually don not know what she means,but my grandmother alaways know what she says.I ask my grandmother why,and she alaways says " Obervse her gestures carefully,and use your kind to listen." I try this way so many times,and now I can sometimes understand what she means.Paralanguage is not a main language,but from the research ,paralanguage can help us to communicate,let othrs can be able to know what you mean quickly and close-fitting,and also help the interpersonal relationship.
Conversations,the most we will likely to do in our daily life, is the most common and significant thing. And do you discover that you will have some non-verbal language usage in your talk. Body language and paralanguage can be the two kinds of languages to give you an advantage on you talk.But in several countries, the residents think it is courtesy of us to reduce our non-verbal language. As a consequence, it is our and other's pleasure if we can give our respect to them.
ReplyDeleteName:羅郁婷
ReplyDeleteConsisting of the prefix "para-" and the word "language", paralanguage literally means a certain kind of language that is beyond the actual "language." Including speaking tempo and intonation, we use paralanguage almost all the time without consciousness. For instance, in an urgent situation, people tend to use a faster tempo just because they are in a hurry; hearing a breaking news or a gossip, people show how surprise they are by raising their intonation. With paralanguage, we'll be able to "guess" what's going on and how the speaker feels simply by listening. Besides, we'll also be able to describe or communicate with others a lot more vividly.
Name:黃平心
ReplyDeleteI think that paralanguage is part of communication. When people talk or try to express some emotion,it must be coupled with paralanguage,such as an eyesight or interjection.
Paralanguage is help us to convey our emotions.For example,there will be different meanings in what we say if we add a sigh.It can tell someone we just feel a bit upset.Thus,I think paralanguage can tell us something hidden behind what people say.
It is kind of emotional language.
name:林庭亘
ReplyDeleteI always feel that paralanguage is far more important than language itself.Why is that? Because when we sometime lose our voice to say something by our mouth and tongue ,we can use paralanguage to show what we want to express. On the contrary,when we lose the ability to show our point with paralanguage and there comes something that we can not use words to describe ,we can not make others understand what we want to tell them. In addition,paralanguage can be so general.It is gestures,sounds of a sigh and the body languages .I think paralanguage can show people's emotions more specifically than words.Sometimes,takes a blink can show more than say a lot of lines.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIn my viewpoints about 'Paralanguage',I think it just means a sign language.However,in reality,it is an important system to communicate with each other in our daily lives,not just be simple as literal meaning.Once,I had seen a silent movie in junior high school.Its major character is a well-known pantomimist,卓別林.I haven't clearly remembered what the plot was then.But there are three parts still wandered in my brain.One is background music,as long as the story changed,the background music did as well. It will influence our feeling and arouse our interest.Another is his facial expression.He looks really funny and amused us a lot.The other is his motion;despite running,walking or gesture.Maybe there are other element,but combining these three parts can clearly know what characters want to express.
ReplyDeleteSometimes,when we say hello to others with different facial expression,we will bring a variety of feeling to others and even affect their moods.So paralanguage is as important as language.