Friday, June 27, 2014

Discussion Forum 10: How do you Feel about the Course? (Optional, DUE on 6/29)

Just share with us what you think about the course.
Note that there will not be any points deducted if you talk about how to improve the course.

6 comments:

  1. My English is not very well so that the first week I could just understand a little in class.But after I reviewed it after class ,I tried my best to understand more.The next two weeks ,I could understand more in class and my groupmates always help me a lot.Language is changing and is an important tool to communicate and to know about the culture behind them it.In the movie,The World Is Flat that we showes in our final power point,the movie shows about the different between America and India even though they all speak English.They have different accent mixed with their own dialect and different culture development.In this class, we could see so much language meaning and development and then that make us to understand more.I never have such as this point of view of the link between language,culture and communication.I think that I will have more obveration in everyday life,and maybe I will learn more or find some interestng things about language,culture and communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. name:林庭亘
    I think the course has me know how to start learning a thing that I've not even heard of before.However, if there is any chance that we can have more time to know each other more with our own team members,the team work's discussions will be improved and well-discussed. Also,if the group meeting on first day of the last week can be earlier than this time,we will have much more time to understand what we have to do or write in our final project.Because we only had two days to know how to modify our final project and we didn't have enough time to have our own group meeting for discussion,we can't totally express our opinion exactly.(maybe it's because of the distances of the members' home) Nevertheless,upon the whole,I love this course so much,since I have learned and analyzed something in a professional way and the "something" is about culture and language which I had taken interest in since I was in High school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was not until I step into the classroom that I realized the school was actually squeezing the schedule. The course was supposed to be lasting for a whole semester! That really surprised me. I was expecting to go to class for like, a whole summer or something close to that, but actually that didn’t happen! Don’t get me wrong, I actually like the course really much. It’s cool to finally get into a class that is taught in English. To me, English is a more suitable language to use than Chinese when learning intercultural communication. Maybe it’s all about my bias or something like that, but I think English is a more compatible language. Thus it’s not too awkward to learn intercultural communication in English. However, there is one difficulty (at least it is a difficulty to me.) That is, I can’t type quickly. I don’t need to type in English throughout my whole school life, so it’s torturing me to sit in front of the computer for three hours every day. Well, all I want to say is thank you very much, teacher. Your course really gives me an anticipation to enter the university.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Name:黃平心
    Before I attended this course, I had no idea about what this course exactly talking about, and even do not know what link among language, culture and communication. However, it really broadened my knowledge a lot after the three weeks. I think the course professor taught us is really helpful. And some tasks were funny such as observing of other's conversation and international language. This is what I was inattentive before. Also, the movie Pygmalion and the other films all made the course not so monotonous. Therefore, I think I like this course very much. But I think that there are something need to improve. We did not have enough time to prepare the final presentation. Thus, it was sadly I could not do the task perfectly. By and large, I improve my English and know more about Language,Culture and Communication through this course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Initially,I could't adapt to the tempo and context of the course.Teacher just talked ,talked and talked and I couldn't absorb it well.As long as my spirit wandered away by mistake,I couldn't understand what Teacher was just talking about.In addition, the context of PPT was a little bit difficult for me.Many proper nouns were used ,such as Jorgon,Euphemism or Linqua franca and then I had to look up these words in e-dictionary immediately;otherwise,I couldn't keep on,However,I would miss some key words.Furthermore,when it was time for group discussion,seldom did I propose my opinion.This learning way was different from senior high school.
    Later on,the condition turned better.I don't know why I got used to this course.Although I couldn't entirely catch whole meaning of what Teacher said,in general,I was familiar with what Teacher wanted to express.Moreover,whenever our team was discussing,I wrote down my thoughts first and then gave them to my teammate.Thus,not only did I participate in their discussion,but I also trained my ability of pondering over.Eventually,the final presentation really surprised me because I plunged my courage to step on stage and introduced what 'PC' was.Maybe I was not good enough; nonetheless,I had already taken a big pace toward my future university.
    In spite of how many I learned from this course;at least,I realized that whether you are smart or not good enough,high or low status or educational background,everyone's opinion should be precious.

    ReplyDelete